Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I Have Gone Astray Like a Lost Sheep

"I have gone astray like a sheep; seek your
servant, for I do not forget your commandments"

(Psalm 119:176).



An Unexpected Finale
The 119th Psalm is a wonderful song of praise for God's Holy Word. There are many memorable verses from this lofty chapter such as "O how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day" (119:97). Or what of the guidance given in verse 9, "How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to your word." Even more often quoted is the passage regarding God's word being a lamp, "Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path" (119:105). What is more interesting to me is the way that the psalm ends. This grandiose psalm of praise ends in confession of sin. After praising the direction that God's word provides for his life, the psalmist admits that he has too often rejected its guidance. Listen to his words, "I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant, for I do not forget your commandments."
I've Gone Astray, Again
Oh, how the writer's prayer is so often my own! God, I have gone astray like a lost sheep! The sheep know that protection is only found by staying close to the shepherd and his guiding staff. But sheep are curious creatures that often wander away from the flock and the watchful eye of the shepherd. Before we know it, we look up to find ourselves alone, shivering, cold, and lost. This little sheep's cries echo through the darkened canyon of death as the evening shades of guilt begin to creep all around. Spiritual predators prowl all around. "Where can I turn?" "What am I going to do?"
I Can't Find My Way Back
This little sheep cries for his shepherd. I cannot find my way back. My only hope is if the shepherd happens to search for me and find me. The psalmist (and the reader) cries out to the Good Shepherd, "seek your servant!" The invisible enemies begin tearing at the flesh of my soul. The demonic powers begin to prey upon my weakened soul like ravenous carnivores (see Ephesians 6:12). I cry out for someone to save me, someone to come and seek that which was lost--me!
I Deserve to Be Lost
I know that this is what I deserve. As the soul-thirsty demons tear at my soul, I know that the reason I am here is because I left my Shepherd's voice. Even as I am being destroyed, I remember the kind and loving voice of the Shepherd. Guilt ridden, filthy, and tainted "I do not forget your commandments." Why am I alone and lost away from the Shepherd, again? Yes, this is not the first time. So often I find myself doing the very evil that I do not wish (see Romans 7:19). There is not hope for me, "wretched man that I am!" (Romans 7:24). My soul will be forever lost, as I am a lone sheep that has gone astray. And I deserve it.
The Tug of the Shepherd's Staff
Suddenly, I feel the crook of the Shepherd's staff around me. He lifts me from the precipice that is infested with predators. The Shepherd has come to seek and save that which was lost! (Luke 19:10). Amazing grace! How sweet is the sound of my Shepherd's voice! He has saved a wretch like me! "Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (Romans 8:25).
Do You Love Me?
With shame filled eyes, the lamb looks into the eyes of the Shepherd. I strayed again, and he sought and saved me again. Why would he come for me again? I am worthless and unworthy. Looking into my soul the Shepherd asks, "Do you love me?" (see John 21:15ff). Lord, you know that I do. "Tend my lambs and shepherd my sheep," he replies. Reluctant in myself but confident in my Shepherd, I rejoin the flock and begin grazing on the riches of his Word. Because of the sin in me, I too often stray. But Father, I will never forget Your Word! Amen!

No comments: