Monday, February 11, 2008

Sound Doctrine & Relationships

The New Testament urges us to preach, teach and believe “sound doctrine” (1 Tim. 4:6). What makes a doctrine “sound?” The original word translated “sound” literally means “healthy.” Some doctrine is healthy to our spiritual growth and some doctrine is detrimental. The doctrines of God that were communicated by the apostles and prophets and passed on to us in Scripture are healthy; the doctrines of men often stunt our spiritual growth or can even kill it. Unfortunately, some today forsake the healthy doctrine of Scripture for the unhealthy creeds and doctrines of men, a mistake that can prove spiritually lethal (2 Tim. 4:3).
When I think of “sound doctrine” my mind often turns to believing all the correct instructions of Scripture as related to the practice of our faith. Things such as plurality of elders, a capella singing, and weekly observance of the Lord’s Supper come first to my mind. But inspiration says that having healthy relationships also qualifies as “sound doctrine.” Paul dedicates an entire chapter of Scripture to a discussion of having proper relationships with people, and he calls this “sound doctrine” (Read Titus 2:1-10).
I might have all the right answers about the way I worship God, but if I don’t have healthy relationships with my fellow man, I cannot claim to practice “sound doctrine.” Think about it.

No comments: