Friday, December 14, 2007

Faithful as the First Century Christians?

Recently, I came across a very thought provoking quotation that made me stop and examine my own Christianity. I found this quote in the writings of C.S. Lewis, but later discovered that it originally came from William Law. He asked the question:

"If you will here stop and ask yourselves why you are not as pious as the primitive Christian were, your own heart will tell you, that it is neither through ignorance nor inability, but purely because you have never thoroughly
intended it."

Have you ever asked yourself this question? Today, if the electricity goes off at the church building, worship services are cancelled. Some Christians think they are "providentially hindered" from going to worship if an unexpected rain shower comes. Compare that with the dedication of the first century saints. With the threat of being imprisoned, beaten and even killed, they continued to be dedicated to the cause "rejoicing that they had been considered worthy to suffer shame for His name" (Acts 5:41).
This quote really challenges me. If I really examine why I don't have the same level of intense faith that the first century Christians had, my heart will reveal the real reason. It is not because I don't know how to be, it is not because I am unable to be, it is simply because I have not made the decision to be.

3 comments:

Dale's Spot said...

Amen...most of us are too busy and have too much noise in our lives to "be still and know" who God is.

Anonymous said...

It is sad that there are many who find Christ,(who came from a back- ground that never new him,nor had anyone with the knowledge of him)in there 30s or later,who's piousness for Christ is equal to that of Christians in the first century,but through the influence of many who have lost there vigor for the Way, lose the fire they first recieved from the Gospel because of the complacent personalities of some in the Church.Heaven help us!

Anonymous said...

When we allow "stuff" (storms, people, buildings, travel, time, family, friends, etc.) to come between us and our God the cost very well may be eternal (but for the Grace of God)!

Mike